Saturday, February 22, 2020

Maudie's Tex-Mex

 Maudie's Tex-Mex (for me) sets the standard for Tex-Mex restaurants, and is one of the first restaurants my wife and I visited when moving to Austin. We were regular patrons of the North Lamar location for many years; taking our kids there for breakfast most Sundays and catching Monday Night Football and sharing drinks there for our weekly date-nights. The North Lamar location is small, intimate, and very authentic-feeling. Maudie's Triangle is far more modern and spacious, with a youthful and energetic vibe.

 For National Margarita Day, it is easily my go-to spot.

 My favorite drink at Maudie's is the Mexican Martini, a sweet and spicy variation of the margarita. Most of the Tex-Mex restaurants in Austin have some version of this drink, but Maudie's raises the bar.

 Maudie's is also the source of my favorite breakfast tacos, served all day with several options on the menu or you can have them your way (I'm a sausage, bacon, egg, and cheese guy myself.). Paired with the Mara's Bean Dip, you get a huge bang for your buck.

 When not dining on the wonderful breakfast tacos, my favorite item on the menu is the Nachos Compuestos. Again, there are several versions of this item at other Tex-Mex restaurants, but Maudie's sets the pace. The appetizer is more than a meal for two people, and great to enjoy while watching the game on one of their televisions.

 There are some caveats to the high praise I heap on Maudie's. The Austin-Bergstrom Airport location is practically a different restaurant, much to my disappointment. Save your money for a Maudie's in town. Carry-out at Maudie's is good, but not as good as dining in. I am not certain why, but the care in preparation and even the portion size seem to be different (less) when ordering to-go. To enjoy Maudie's, dine-in is recommended.

Price: about $10 a plate.

https://www.maudies.com/

North Lamar
10205 N. Lamar Blvd.
Austin, TX, 78753
Phn: 512 832 0900

No comments:

Post a Comment